MENTRANET-- a new beginning, a revised purpose VOTE FOR NEW BYLAWS (found on left sidebar menu)
Stop by our booth at the Illinois Library Association Conference, October 19-20 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois.
We'd love to hear your ideas as we reinvent our organization. We are seeking additional cataloging mentors and trainers, as well as volunteers to join us on the steering committee.
IOUG Board Members 2009
IOUG Membership Fee Rollover 2011-2012; Steering Committee Studying IOUG's Future
Several extenuating circumstances have developed, which have caused us to step back and look at the purpose of our organization: "to promote the use of the OCLC database and related ILLINET/OCLC services for libraries and educational institutions for educational, literacy, scientific, and research purposes."
Last year's changes in OCLC structure and governance and the creation of OCLC's Training Portal http://training.oclc.org/ (a gateway to OCLC products and services and access to instruction from OCLC and OCLC-certified training partners) will affect the delivery and strong OCLC focus of our existing training programs. Another big factor is the loss of administrative, accounting, coordinator and planning support that IOUG has relied on from the Illinois State Library.
IOUG is a grassroots organization and our task this year is to deliberate on how we can continue to be viable and meet the needs of our membership, in new and creative ways and within the framework of a stand-alone, volunteer organization. Several members of the existing IOUG Board will be working over the coming year to develop a draft plan and updated bylaws, which we will present to the membership for their feedback and subsequent vote next Spring.
At its annual retreat, the IOUG Board crafted a temporary mission statement:
We foster staff excellence in Illinois libraries through expert mentoring and training in cataloging and technical services.
We also identified several strategic issues, including a possible new name for our organization (Mentranet), identifying and engaging a base of volunteer trainers and mentors on an ongoing basis, establishing a repository/clearinghouse for training resources in cataloging and technical services, and continued collaboration with other organizations and groups that support our mission.
In this interim:
- Membership has been extended through the July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012 fiscal year and will not be collecting dues.
- We will not be holding new officer elections for the coming year.
- We will not be planning an annual IOUG membership meeting but hope to see you in October at the Illinois Library Association Conference, October 18-20 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. Stop by our booth in the exhibit hall.
- We will update the IOUG Website and migrate to a self-sufficient model, joining many Illinois libraries who already use the web-hosting service, Plinkit.
- We will make good faith efforts to match you with a volunteer trainer, should you require local training resources (use contact information below).
- We appreciate your continued support, welcome your ideas, and invite your participation as a volunteer trainer or mentor (use contact information below).
-July 15, 2010 (reaffirmed June 2011)
Mary S. Konkel, IOUG Chair
College of DuPage Library
(630) 942-2662, email: firstname.lastname@example.org